Photo credit: Dashing Dish
Today was day 1 of Project Unsquishify. I went on a run with my new running shoes, the dogs (we have two), & the baby in his jogging stroller. I finally figured how to put on the damn BOB Weather Cover so I was pleased about that. Anyway. I decided to give HIIT running a try. What, pray tell, am I talking about? Here's the best description I could find on the World Wide Web:
"What is High Intensity Interval Training (or HIIT for short)? HIIT is a variant of exercising that is the quickest way to burn fat and gain muscle simultaneously. How does HIIT work? HIIT optimizes your workout time by utilizing a series of short, high-intensity intervals, followed up by longer, low-intensity intervals. The reason HIIT is so successful is that HIIT’s repeated intervals constantly keeps your body [guessing]. Your body is never given a chance to “plateau” or get used to one setting, something that is common with other forms of cardio. Due to the nature of HIIT, it is typical to have workouts that are only 20 minutes or less and still burn the same amount of calories as an hour of regular exercising. The best part of HIIT is that it boosts your metabolism and will continue to burn hundreds of calories hours after you are done exercising!"
- Do not run with gum in your mouth. I thought it would be a good idea for some reason (???) but I just ended up biting my tongue, literally, of course.
- Seattle sidewalks are hella narrow. The four of us were so cramped... Moloch (the aussie/heeler puppy) ran face first into a telephone pole. Epic.
- On that subject, why is it that dogs ALWAYS want to go on the opposite site of the tree/pole/objectthatisnotahologram. I just do not understand.
- I'm having a brain fart.
Now I'm going to rant about my running shoes I got for my birthday. They are seriously the most comfortable running shoe I've ever had. Seriously. They are super lightweight (you can see your foot through the mesh) and have amazing support -- I basically have flat feet and my feet did not hurt at all after a 35ish minute run & afterward. & as I mentioned before, no shin splints!!! I have gotten shin splints with every other sneaker I've had. These are the shit. The only caveat is that the laces are super short for some reason. I would suggest just tying each lace in a knot after you're done threading them & hiding the rest of the lace in the shoe itself. Oh, & another plus, the color selections are hot! I have the pink color above. They also have a mens version.
Well, I'm now rambling on... Quickly before I pass out I wanted to say that I also did day 1 of the BodyRock.tv 30 day challenge. I set my interval timer for 50 seconds for each exercise with a 10 second break in-between. Here are my stats (I'm soooo out of shape):
- Squat jumps: 30.
- Push-ups (from knees): 17.
- Burpees: 13 (ohmygawd, dying).
- High Knees: I didn't count. I needed to stop & take a breather with 16 seconds left on the timer.
- Switch Lunge: 21.
- Tuck Jump: 10.
- Straight Abs: 30.
& just a quick food log...
- Homemade breakfast sandwich (biscuit, sausage, egg, cheese)
- 3 cups of tea
- A piece of toast with rasberry jam
- 5 glasses of water
- (Okay, I caved. It was sooo guuud...) Two bowls of homemade fried rice
Now, I am going to go pass out as I have to take the boyfriend to the airport in the AM, AKA the death of me. We have to leave the house at 6AM. 'Night all!